Bridges over the Seine in Paris, 2. www.paris-pages.com
return to first bridge page
List of brideges over the Seine in Paris
From Pont National in the
12/13th to Pont du Garigliano in the 15/16th there are 32 bridges over the
Seine. Here they are listed as the river flows downstream. Where two bridges
are listed at the same place the one on the south bank is listed first.
Pont de Tolbiac
Pont de Bercy
Pont Charles de Gaulle
Pont de Sully
Pont de la Tournelle to Ile Saint Louis, then
Pont Marie from Ile Saint Louis
Pont de l'Archevêché to Ile de
la Cité, Pont St-Louis between the islands, Pont Louis Philippe from Ile
Pont au Double to Ile de la Cité, then Pont
Petit Pont to Ile de la Cité, then Pont Notre Dame
St. Michel to Ile de la Cité, then Pont au
Pont des Arts
Pont du Carrousel
Pont de la Concorde
Pont des Invalides
Pont de l'Alma
Pont de Bir Hakeim
Pont de Grenelle
Pont Neuf, which means new bridge, is actually the oldest
bridge in Paris. It dates from 1578. Towards the end of the reign of Louis XVI all the houses on the briges over the Seine were pulled down. Pont Neuf was the first stone bridge in Paris, the first with pavements, and the first to be built without houses.
Pont de la Tournelle
Pont de la Tournelle from Ile Saint-Louis to the 5th just outside the famous restaurant Tour d'Argent. The statue on the bridge is of St. Genvieve, patron saint of Paris. On the left is a closer view of the top of the statue. It is by Paul Landowski (1875-1961), and was put in place in 1928, though the bridge dates from 1620. It marks what would have been the eastern limit of the late middle ages fortifications. Genvieve is facing east, as this is the direction Attila and the Huns were approaching Paris from when she persuaded the people not to flee. It is also the direction most invaders approach the city. However Landowski, who had fought on the Somme in WWI, would have preferred Genvieve to face Notre Dame, and to represent peace. You can get wonderful views of the back of Notre Dame from this bridge.
Pont au Double
Pont au Double, below, which connects the left bank and Ile de la Cite. When it was fist built in 1634 it had a glass gallery, and the patients from the Hotel-Dieu (the oldest hospital in Paris) used it as a nice walk between the Ile de le Cite part of the hospital and the Left Bank part of the hospital. The bridge got its name because non-patients had to pay a double farthing to cross.
Although other sources say that the name comes from horsemen having to pay double the toll of pedestrians. The present bridge dates from 1882.