Access to the museum.
It is open from 10am - 6 pm every day except Mondays and some public holidays.
Entrance is free and it is well worth a visit.
The nearest metro stations are Saint-Paul on Line 1 or Chemin Vert on Line 8.
Buses are 29, 69, 76, 96.
Not only are the houses themselves beautiful, and the objects in the museum, but the gardens are exquisite, especially the knot gardens, see below. The property was acquired by the city in 1866 and opened as a museum in 1880. The photograph on the right shows the courtyard with the statue of Louis XIV.
The museum is contained in two houses. The one you see on this page was built in 1545, although the photograph below of one of the statues will attest that it has been added to since that time. In 1572 a Madame de Kemevenoy became the owner, and it is a distortion of her name that gives the house its present day name. Most of the surrounding buildings date from the 17th century. The second house dates from the 19th century.
The central statue in the entrance courtyard (see right) is of Louis XIV dressed as a Roman emperor, but with a full 17th century wig. This was one of the few statues of him to survive the revolution. On the wall behind him are relief sculptures representing the four seasons.