Luxembourg Gardens is the largest park on the left bank of Paris.
The gardens were laid out in 1612. However most of the statues date from the 19th century.
Left is the fountain at Avenue de l'observatoire end of the Luxembourg gardens.
The four females at the top represent the four continents. The sculptors were Carpeaux and two others.
The fountain is located on the meridian line, and just outside there is a brass plate on the line with the name of Arago, who was the director of the Paris Observatory (below left).